This weekend, we took the chicken eggs out of the incubator. The 21 days had passed, plus a few extra just in case we had some “late hatchers.” We took them out and took them outside to crack them open and see what was going on inside.
Of six eggs, one appeared to be completely unfertilized. Two had arrested development, meaning the chick had begun to develop but them something stopped it before it could actually turn into a chick – although what we saw did make clear that it was the beginnings of a chick. Two had blood, which from what I can find, indicates that the eggs were going to develop, but bacteria got into them and stopped it before it started. The final egg – we’re not entirely sure of what happened. There’s a bit of debate, as one child says it was arrested development, and the other says it was unfertilized. In attempting to prove arrested development, whatever proof there might have been ended up being obliterated. That egg’s fate will remain forever unknown, I guess.
We still have 2 geese eggs and the egg that we think is a duck. They take longer to hatch than the chicken eggs, so sometime between tomorrow and this Saturday, these eggs should – if they are going to – hatch. We’ll see what happens.
There’s been discussion that we might get some chicks and try to raise some chickens, but we’ll see about that. This was an interesting experiment, but we’ll have to see if the kids have the attention span to keep going with it.